Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Pregnancy Test

We had tried unsuccessfully for several months entering December 2010. I was charting my temperatures, and toward the end of December when my temperature was supposed to be elevated to indicate that we were expecting, it started dropping .1 degrees per day for several days. I decided that must mean that we had been unsuccessful again, so I was oblivious to every sign that told me otherwise. On New Year's Eve, we went to dinner at Chili's and I was craving a big fat juicy slice of tomato. That didn't strike me as odd. On the 1st, I went to visit family. During the trip I started to notice soreness in my chest. That was what finally prompted me to take a test when I returned home. During the trip I had not had a private moment to talk to my husband about my suspicions, so I decided to take the test without telling him (since it was the middle of the day and it might not turn out positive anyway). As soon as I put the stick down, it immediately produced one very bright pink line (this first line was the one that was supposed to indicate positive). After a few minutes, it showed a second very faint pink line. I hid the test behind my back and brought it to my husband saying "I have a surprise for you". He said "Are you serious?" but upon further inspection was skeptical since the second line was so faint, so he went out to get a different type of test (the kind that shows a plus or minus). As soon as I took the second test, it showed a bright plus sign. We were so excited, but nervous - this was our first pregnancy, what should we expect? What would happen next? Would we have a boy or a girl? Would we be good parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment