Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Funeral

As soon as the doctor confirmed that my water had broken, we started making funeral plans. I was too overwhelmed to think about it much, but luckily I was surrounded by people who could.

My husband called a funeral home. At first, the only option they offered was cremation, but after we talked to the staff at the hospital who told us there was no reason we couldn't do a burial, we called the funeral home back and arranged for a burial. My sister-in-law donated her cemetery plot to us (both she and my husband were given plots when they were teenagers by their mother), so that we didn't have to find a plot.

After that, I was asked what I thought of a number of ideas, and I agreed with whatever. My mother-in-law took the whole week off from work when we came home from the hospital and she made the majority of the arrangements.

Both of our families chipped in and paid for the entire funeral and made significant contributions for the headstone.

The funeral itself was lovely, but heart wrenching. Just seeing the tiny little casket broke my heart. We buried our babies with their bears (the day we found out the sexes, my husband went shopping and got them each a bear - one pink, one blue). We let them keep their hats and blankets and we wrote a note to each of them to go into the casket.




No comments:

Post a Comment