Sunday, August 28, 2011

Feeling Powerless

When I got home from the hospital, I felt completely powerless. I had lost my babies and didn't know why. I now had at least two weeks off from work on disability leave and nothing to do. Before leaving the hospital, my mother and I had decided that we would make things (me hats and her quilts) to donate to the hospital in appreciation of the items that had been given to our babies.

Once at home, I did two things: I started looking into March of Dimes and I started knitting tiny hats. I found that March of Dimes had a walk coming up in less than a month, so I threw myself into that. It gave me something to put my energy into and I felt like I was making a difference because I was raising money to help prevent tragedies like ours. I recruited a few walkers and started posting for donations on facebook. Incredibly, in about three weeks, with only six walkers, we were able to raise over $1,800!!

During those few weeks,  I did some knitting, but mostly focused on the walk. However, once the walk was over, I needed to take up something else to help take away the powerless feeling. I started doing more knitting and started talking to others about it. A lot of people who I told what I was doing were interested in participating too. I found that we would soon have more items to donate than we could use for just a one-time donation, so I started thinking about making ongoing donations and forming an organization to make it happen. I worked on the idea with a friend and that's how An Angel's Love was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment