Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Boys or Girls?

At 18 weeks, we went to the doctor for a very unexciting ultrasound to measure my cervix to make sure I could hold twins in. The measurement went well and I asked if we could look at the babies. The tech said that she could try to figure out the sexes if we wanted. We did, very much so! So she started with Baby B and announced "It's a girl!". Baby A was much less cooperative. Eventually, she was able to get a good enough angle to announce "It's a boy!"

My husband couldn't have been more happy. I was hesitant. My husband had declared that if the twins were one boy and one girl, our family would be complete. I had always wanted more than two kids, so this was disappointing to me. However, by the next day, I had realized that this was the perfect scenario: my husband was thrilled about having a boy, I was thrilled about having a girl, his side of the family had only girls, so they were thrilled about a baby boy joining the family, and my side of the family had only boys so they were thrilled about a baby girl.

A couple days later, we went to the Mother of Twins sale (a huge second hand sale of all things baby). The clothing was separated by gender and age. He immediately went to the boys' section and I went to the girls' section. We each enjoyed picking out items for our selected gender and left with a couple bags of clothes and one neutral toy.

However, our mothers were scheduled to come to the anatomical ultrasound scheduled for two weeks later where we had expected to learn the sexes, so we decided not to ruin the surprise and elected not to tell the family the sexes. This made for an interested couple of weeks while we tried not to give away our secret...

No comments:

Post a Comment